Environment and society at Kaindl
Environment and health – four reasons for Kaindl products
Wood is a raw material that is important to us and one which we manage responsibly. We therefore use large quantities of recycled wood in our production, and in doing so we give it a second life. Kaindl products can then also be recycled at the end of their useful life.
90 % of the raw material used to make Kaindl products are renewable and come from the regional timber industry. The grow in Austria's forests at a rate of one cubic metre per second. Sustainable forest management ensures that more wood is being regrown than is removed.
Our products are CO2-neutral. Due to their high wood content they have an unbeatable life cycle assessment and make an active contribution to climate protection. One pallet of Kaindl flooring captures and holds approx. 700 m³ CO2. This corresponds to the emissions caused by a car trip around 7,000 kilometers.
Anyone who buys Kaindl products buys healthy living! Our products meet international standards, they are free from harmful plasticisers and pollutants, and ensure high-indoor air quality. We guarantee this!
Ecological milestones at Kaindl
Environmental protection and sustainability have been key principles at Kaindl ever since the company's foundation. That is why we continuously improve our products and infrastructure and have achieved important milestones along the way:
- 1990: Installation of state of the art electric filters to clean exhaust air
- 1999: Conditioning of waste water in bio-scrubbers
- 2000: Recovery of industrial heat for 3,000 homes
- 2003: New installation of the Kaindl Cargo Shuttle: works traffic moved from road to rail
- 2006: Large-scale conversion from fossil fuels to biomass
- 2013: Consumption of heat energy reduced by 20% since 2005
- 2014: Reclaimed wood reaches a purity of 99.8% through recycling
- 2016: CO2 emissions at the Salzburg plant halved since 2013
- 2017: Lungötz plant converted to liquefied natural gas (LNG)
- 2019: Modernization and conversion to state-of-the-art measuring techniques in the Salzburg laboratory.
- 2020: Retrofit to energy-efficient LED lighting
- 2021: Optimisation of plant traffic and changeover of the Kaindl shuttle to electricity from hydropower, so that it is CO2-neutral to run.
Routine inspections and certifications
Kaindl products fulfil the strictest quality and environmental standards – a statement made not by us, but by numerous independent test institutes. Read here which institutes routinely inspect and certify our products and about Kaindl's involvement in associations.
Kaindl is a member of the following institutions:
- European Producers of Laminate Flooring (EPLF)
- Fachverband der Holzindustrie Österreich
- Pro Holz
- North American Laminate Floor Association (NALFA)
Kaindl products are routinely tested by independent institutes
- Fraunhofer Institute for Wood Research WKI
- OETI Österreichisches Textilforschungsinstitut
- ISEGA Unbedenklichkeitserklärungen
- LGA Produktprüfung und Zertifizierung
- IBS Brandschutztechnik und Sicherheitsforschung
- RAL product-related environmental seal "Blue Angel"
- CE Directives
- IHD Institut für Holztechnologie in Dresden